This week I sit down with black fashion blogger Uzochi Okoronkwo about the recent events of police brutality and the Black Lives Matter movement.
We talk about growing up in Maryland with Nigerian immigrant parents, being black in Japan, why people are hesitant to speak up, and why we are all connected to this movement– no matter who or where we are.
Read Uzochi’s blog: https://www.plaitwoman.com/blog
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts ¦ Google Play ¦ Stitcher
BECOME A PATRON: patreon.com/nobullpodcast
MY SOCIAL LINKS:
Follow me on Instagram: @annawildman
Tweet at me: @wildmanna
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join me on a vegan food tour! foodiejapan.com/tour-item/vegan-lunch-tour/
by earthchain: soundcloud.com/earthchain
Resources for education and activism:
- This is a fantastic comprehensive list of places and people to donate to: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/#donate
- Places to donate:
- The Bail Project: a critical tool to prevent incarceration and combat racial and economic disparities in the bail system
- NAACP Legal and Educational Defense Fund: America’s premier legal organization fighting for racial justice
- George Floyd memorial fund: https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd
- Minnesota Freedom Fund: Pays criminal bail and immigration bond for those who cannot afford to as we seek to end discriminatory, coercive, and oppressive jailing.
- National Bail Out: Black-led collective of abolitionist organizers, lawyers and activists to end systems of pretrial detention and ultimately mass incarceration.
- Black Lives Matter: Mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.
- Black Visions Collective: Black, trans, and queer-led organization that works on long term systems change campaigns, community engagement and political education, leadership development, and cultural organizing rooted in transformative justice through a Black queer feminist lens.
- Campaign Zero: Platform of research-based policy solutions to end police brutality in America.
- Justice for Breonna
- Innocent Project: exonerates the wrongly convicted through DNA testing and reforms the criminal justice system to prevent future injustices.
- Free way to donate:
- Watch this Youtube video: 100% of ad revenue will be donated to various BLM-related organizations
- Sign petitions
- Books to read:
- Podcasts to listen to:
- Documentaries to watch:
- Movies/TV shows to watch: