5/3/18: Day One In Bali

I woke up in Sanur, which is on the southeast side of Bali, pretty well-rested.

I dropped off my laundry at a place near my hostel (Cafe Locca) and then got some bananas for breakfast. I ate them with bread I had leftover from the day before.

When I went back to my dorm, I started chatting with the girl who was sleeping in the bed across from me.

She had just gotten back from the hospital, and was telling me about all her troubles: how she got in a motorcycle accident 4 days ago and now can’t walk because the cut on her leg got infected, how her crazy boyfriend who won’t take care of her, and about her alcoholic best friend who she had to stop from killing himself in Thailand.
I asked her what happened with the boy, and she said she had just left him the day before and came to this hostel because he was so toxic and wouldn’t let her paint her nails, eat what she wanted, or help her even though she couldn’t walk. I felt like she wanted me to feel bad for her, but honestly I had no idea why she liked someone like that. Why would you want to be with someone so inconsiderate and borderline evil?? I told her she made the right decision and left it at that.

I went to a Gecko Coffee Shop with my laptop and banged out quite a few blog posts. I really wanted to catch up on the daily posts since I feel like I’m perpetually behind.

Around 1:30 I was hungry so I packed up and went to Malaika Secret Moksha, a vegan-friendly restaurant, just down the street.


It was a really cute, large place. I ordered a tempeh burger, my first vegan burger since I started traveling 5 months ago. It was pretty good but a bit dry. I feel like it would have been better with thinner bread. It was just a bit too big for the burger. I did like the sweet potato chips that came with the meal— I put some inside the sandwich, which really took it to the next level (if I do say so myself).

Processed with VSCO with hb1 presetIMG_9573

On my way back home, I stopped by a convenient store on the way to get some green tea and Sprite for the girl in my dorm since she can’t walk.

I thought people in Bali would be less friendly because it’s such a touristy place, but everyone here is so nice and helpful.

I dropped off my laptop in my room, and then left for the beach.While I was walking, I saw someone running and it inspired me to go for a run later. I always forget that I have the option to run in the evenings, not just in the mornings.

So many boats in Sanur


Volcano in the back!

I spent about an hour laying out on the beach. I was too scared to leave my stuff and go to the water, so I stuck to the sand.

As I walked back to the hostel, I looked up at the sky and saw an airplane taking off. I thought of going home to Tokyo, and suddenly felt a crazy sense of gratitude. I just feel so luck to be doing this and I’m so happy. I really felt overwhelmed and I thought I would start crying.

I picked up my laundry, changed into my running clothes, and left for my run. I was a bit scared for the run because I’d heard that the dogs here are crazy, but I didn’t have any issues. A lot of the dogs had owners, and had leashes/collars, and even the stray ones were friendly.

My running path


I was thinking I’d see more of Balinese culture on the run, but really I just saw a lot of tourists with money to spend: I ran past endless beach and pool bars, juice bars, and nice restaurants. Maybe it’s just the area I chose to run in, though.

I felt really tired on the run. I was still really full from lunch and my body didn’t feel great.

Crazy colors on the water
Obsessed with this volcano


I showered, watched Survivor, and left around 8:30 for dinner.

I went down the street to Warung Blanjong and ordered sayur urab, which was stir-fried long green beans with garlic. I loved it! I also realized how much I missed dining solo— I hadn’t done that in so long that I forgot how nice it can be.


I got a papaya/banana smoothie from the fruit stand across from my hostel on my way home. It was really good, and cheap— 15,000 rupiahs ($1).

I watched Terrace House back at the hostel before going to bed.

2 thoughts on “5/3/18: Day One In Bali

  1. I almost cry in the middle. I usually read your blog in the commute subway, so i had to hold teardrops!
    Enjoy your time, Anna! However remember you have home and us waiting for you!
    Love you!

Leave a Reply