5/2/18: Goodbye Laos, Hello Indonesia

I woke up super hungover. Why did I take those tequila shots!! Ugh. I really need to just stick to beer. Liquor never settles right with me. I’m excited to detox and not drink for a while.

I finally got up around 10:30— check out was at 11, so I had to be out of the room in 30 minutes.

I packed up, put my stuff in the lobby, and Adrian and I left to get some food.

We went to a restaurant down the street, and I got vegetable noodle soup. It was pretty good and quite healthy. I felt a lot better after.

I wanted a smoothie, so we went back to my favorite smoothie place. This time my lady was there, woo! I got a coconut mango smoothie, but she forgot to add in coconut. But it’s ok— she’s such a joyful person, I forgive her.

Adrian and I sat on the hotel’s porch until it was time for me to go. My flight to Bali (via Kuala Lumpur) was at 3:20, so I wanted to leave by 12:45.

I said bye to Falko and Adrian, my German travel buddies for the past two weeks. Two weeks in the real world is no time at all, but in the travel world it’s basically a year. We spent so much time together— Adrian and I pretty much spent all waking hours together— and we got to know each other so well. It was really hard to say goodbye. I’m going to miss correcting their English and them teaching me random German words.

I was also really sad to leave Laos in general. I wish I could have stayed longer than a month. It’s one of the most beautiful, relaxing, and friendliest countries that I’ve been to and I will definitely miss it. I look forward to coming back soon.

I got to the airport around 1 pm, and was at my gate by 1:20. I probably didn’t need to leave so early.

I worked on the blog at the gate, and we left right on time.

I landed in Kuala Lumpur at 7:15, and had 2.5 hours before my flight to Bali. I had a self-connecting flight, so I had to clear Malaysia customs first, get out of the airport, go back up to the departure floor, check in for my Bali flight, and then go through the immigration/security process again.

I somehow successfully got on both flights without paying for luggage, even though the limit is 7 kg. The first flight was easy, since there were no employees that seemed to really care, but I think I got lucky on the second flight. Just before entering the Malaysian immigration, there was a group of AirAsia employees standing around a “7 kg limit” sign that you had to walk past. They were busy talking to a big group of passengers, and I somehow managed to slide by them without them noticing me.

By the time I was finished and at my departure area, it was 8 pm. I was really hungry, so I went to a food court to try to find some food. I went to an Indian place, but the people were taking forever so I gave up and went next door to a Chinese place. I asked for stir fried veggies, but they told me they have no vegetables.

Alright then.

I went to the wok place next to that, and they told me they had no vegetables either.

Frustrated, I went downstairs and saw a noodle place called Nooodles. I asked for the vegetable curry noodle soup, and thankfully they actually had it. It was super spicy, creamy, and delicious. The noodles had that perfect chewy texture that is so hard to come by.


I got to my gate and waited an hour and a half before boarding.

We left about 20 minutes after the scheduled time and landed in Bali around 1 am.

On both flights, I had really bad headaches while we were descending. It was like someone was simultaneously squeezing my brain and jabbing my head. I really felt like I was going to die because it felt like my brain would explode.

Spoiler alert: I’m alive.

We landed, got through immigration (which was crazy quick— no fingerprints, photos, anything), and I was out of the airport by 1:20.

I got a Grab, and had to walk to the 5th floor of a big parking garage to meet my driver since Grab is semi-illegal here. The cabs get really mad if they see you getting in a Grab/Uber, so the drivers have to be really sneaky about it.

My driver was a really friendly, talkative guy.

He told me he’s from Sumatra, an island north of Bali, had moved here 6 months ago, and owns a tour agency. He gave me some tips on where and what to eat, and warned me about Balinese people who try to rip off tourists because they think we all have endless amounts of money.

I appreciated his kindness, but I wasn’t exactly in the talking mood at 1:30 in the morning after a long day of travel.

I got to my hostel, Cafe Locca, at 2 am and promptly went to bed.

Leave a Reply