4/21/18: Clubbing In Luang Prabang

I woke up at 9:30 and got breakfast at Cafe Eh Eh before our bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang. I was so happy to see that they had coconut milk!! I got an iced coffee with coconut milk, plus an order of bread and fruit. The food was 35,000 kip (about $4), but it was NOT enough food for that much money. They brought me 3 tiny pieces of bread plus the smallest fruit salad ever.

On my way home, I picked up a veggie/tofu sandwich to take on the bus. Adrian, Mateus, and Falko (all three of whom I had met in Vientiane a few days ago) were all going to Luang Prabang together.

My sandwich!

We drove for a few hours before stopping at a small village for lunch. I had just eaten my sandwich so I wasn’t hungry. Mateus and I walked 100 meters or so down the street to check out a village party that was happening. We were just standing around watching when a couple people waved us over to join their table. They gave us a glass of beer, which we shared, and then we got up to dance with them for a bit.


People we danced with
The party

It was so nice of them to include us, and it was fun getting involved in a random party while at a bus break.

We walked back up to the restaurant and waited for our driver to finish eating his food so we could get going.

The rest of the ride was pretty rough: lots of bumpy roads and twists and turns. At one point, we saw the carcass of a truck that was completely flipped over. I have no idea how long it had been left there, but it looked like a pretty devastating crash.

Adrian and I watched an episode of Black Mirror, Arkangel, that I had downloaded on my phone. It was a depressing (but good) episode about how an overprotective mother installs a monitoring device in her daughter’s brain, which ends up making her daughter crazy and in the end it all backfires in a pretty scary way (don’t want to spoil the ending).

We got to Luang Prabang around 4 and walked to a guest house that Mateus had researched: Thavisouk Family Home.

It looked ok, so we booked 2 nights.

I went for a long run because I was craving one, especially after all the debauchery in Vang Vieng.

It was HOT and I was struggling to complete the 8 miles. It also wasn’t as pleasant as I was hoping: I tried to get away from the busy streets, but it seemed no matter how many miles I ran, I was still in the busy streets of Luang Prabang. It’s a much bigger town that I had assumed.

Views from my run


I got back to the hostel, showered, and then we all left for dinner around 7. We walked to the river and ate at a Korean all-you-can-eat BBQ place called Riverside BBQ. I loaded my plate with mushrooms, greens, zucchini, green onion, and broccoli, and cooked it all up on the grill. I got my own grilling station since I didn’t really want to use the same one as the meat-eaters. It was nice to “cook” for the first time in a long time, even if it’s not really cooking. It was just nice to use my hands and create something myself, since I’ve eaten out pretty much every meal for almost 5 months now.

My station


We went to Utopia bar after dinner, which was actually really cool. I could see myself chilling there during the day— there’s lots of space to relax, spread your legs, and read or work or do whatever you want to do.

The bar closed at midnight so everyone left to go to the bowling alley (it’s the thing to do here). We were going to do the same, but as we were on the main street looking for a tuk-tuk, we ended up next to a group going to a night club and decided to join them instead.

Dao Fah club was crazy: the entire parking lot was filled with dozens of motorcycles (drinking and driving is an accepted practice here, unfortunately), and the outside of the club looked like a big house. I was slightly confused. However, I walked through a side entrance and suddenly entered a HUGE space with tables on the outer edges and a big dance floor in the center.

We found an empty table near the entrance to stand around. The music was a mix of terrible techno and mediocre remixes of pop songs, but I had so much fun dancing and acting stupid that I didn’t really care. There was a British guy who I had met on the tuk-tuk drive over who was just as ridiculous a dancer as me, and we just danced together the whole time. I was DRIPPING in sweat. I loved it, though. I just love dancing and I really don’t care how I look.

Walked back to our hostel and got home around 2:30 am. I checked my health app and it said I had already walked 5.3 miles since midnight.

Leave a Reply