4/20/18: Whiskey Overload In Vang Vieng

I woke up really late– around 11 am– and had breakfast with Adrian. I got vegetable and tofu stir fry, which was super oily and not very good. Just as we were finishing up, Mateus and Joe walked up and joined our table.

Once we were back at the hostel, everyone laid back down for a bit. I couldn’t sleep, so I finished my book, The Kite Runner. I loved it so much! Such a heartbreaking yet uplifting story. Highly recommend!

Mateus and Joe wanted to get bikes and find somewhere to chill in the mountains, so we walked down the street to rent motorbikes.


We pulled up to an area recommended to us by the motorcycle rental place. Two people waved us down at the entrance and demanded 10,000 kip each (about $1). It’s not a lot of money, but they were literally just random people asking for money. There were no tickets, no office, no credentials. It just felt off, so we left and went to Blue Lagoon instead. Apparently there are multiple Blue Lagoons because we went to Blue Lagoon 3.

It was surprisingly quiet; there was almost no one else there.


There was, however, a very entertaining half Asian family. The dad, an American, was SOO stereotypically American. He had a son who was trying to learn to swing into water and he kept saying things like, “You’ve got it son!” “You are so great!” “Wow, amazing!” “Isn’t this the best day ever!!?” but he was having way more fun than his son.

We swam in the lagoon and laid out for a while before getting back on our bikes just before sundown.

Mateus, Falco, Joe, Adrian


We got dinner at one of the restaurants on the main street. I got mushroom tofu stir fry, and it was actually amazing. Probably one of the best meals I’ve had in recent memory.


I wanted an early night, but…

We went back to hostel and had free whiskey and some beer. Then we went to Viva Bar. Everyone was going to some jungle rave, but none of us wanted to go so we went down to a river bar the boys knew about.

So much whiskeeeyyy!!

It was closed, but we laid on the hammocks anyway and went back to the hostel around 1 am. Just as we were leaving, I realized I didn’t have my phone with me. I knew I either left it at Viva Bar or at the hotel; I was hoping it’d be the latter.

I was pretty proud of myself that I didn’t even realize I didn’t have my phone with me for a few hours. That probably means that I had enough fun that I didn’t feel the need to check my phone– not even for the time.

I found the phone on my bed, much to my relief.

Leave a Reply