Day 1 of Daily Blogging: 1/8/18

I’ve been thinking for the past few weeks that I really need to get better at journaling and just chronicling my travels in general. So, I decided I’m going to attempt daily blogging by unloading my thoughts & activities on to the blog every day. They will not necessarily be the most well-written posts; the point is for them to be raw, quick, and real.

I have a feeling I might fall behind or combine multiple days into one post, but I will do my best to journal/blog every day.

So let’s start with yesterday:

Bangkok, Thailand: January 8, 2018

Woke up around 8 and got breakfast downstairs at the cafe next door. Edited the podcast & chatted with hostel friends I had met a couple days earlier.

Processed with VSCO with f2 preset

Left around 12:30 to walk over to lunch to meet with Pierre, Trina and Julien (Pierre & Trina are Youtube/IG friends from NY, Julien is Pierre’s friend from childhood). The walk over was cool: I took my time and walked through tiny streets, observing the local culture. Got to the restaurant STARVING.

We all ordered the same set meal: Ayurveda set lunch with some sort of spicy soup, roti, rice, sprouted bean salad, coconut yogurt, sweet potatoes, bean curry thing. So good. Was amazing seeing the three of them again. We had such a good time in the Philippines last week, and it was nice to be with them in another country.


After lunch, Trina and Pierre left to work at a cafe; Julien and I decided to walk up to the shopping area. There was a vegan bakery in the area called Veganerie that I wanted to go to, so it worked out great. It was HOT: we were sweating bullets by the time we got there. On the way we walked through Lumphini Park (my 3rd time in 4 days ahah), and saw 3 comodo dragons just chilling!!!! It was crazy.




Got to the bakery and I got gelato and a berry crumble thing to go, and Julien got a smoothie. I left around 5 to meet with the founder of merooms to interview him for my podcast, and Julien went to explore the river ferry.

bad pic of the crumble :/
mint gelato!

We did the interview at a big mall, which has a lounge/working space at the top floor. I was so happy that we actually had a quiet space to do it in since it’s kind of hard to find them when traveling and without my own reliable space. We only had about 45 minutes to do the interview, so it was a bit tight. But the founder, Supawat, has a really cool story and it was amazing meeting him! Afterwards, I went to a bookstore and picked up a book (been desperately needing to get one; I ended up getting Kafka On The Shore by Murakami), and then met Trina, Pierre, and Julien again for dinner.

I decided to take the public bus since it was the cheapest option and also wasn’t that much slower than taking a train/taxi. I waited to about 10 minutes for it to arrive. It was old and kinda dirty. But it only cost 6 baht, which is about 18 cents. So cheap!! The trip took about 45 minutes, and I got to Chinatown around the same time as the rest of the group.

Bangkok public bus

Trina brought her aunt and family friend, and we explored various stands: a sticky peanut ball stand (which I couldn’t try wah), fruit and smoothie stands (had my first star fruit and passion fruit!!), and then had dinner at a local congee/stir fry place. We got eggplant basil stir fry, mixed mushroom stir fry, and sunflower sprout stir fry, all of which were really flavorful, spicy, delicious. We also had bowls of rice and congee. Julien nearly died when he accidentally ate a hot pepper. He was legit crying and all the tables around were laughing at us… it was pretty great.



We ended the night with fried dough! It was vegan so I tried some. Very flaky and sweet. Don’t know if I would get it again, but at 15 baht per roll, not a bad deal at all.


Took a grab bike home, which is essentially a cab but you ride on the back of a random person’s motorcycle. Was an experience hahaah but I got home safely around 9:30.


Got ready for bed since the next day I would be waking up at 4:30 to get to the bus station headed to Chiang Mai. Couldn’t sleep well though… tossed and turned for several hours. And then I got really hungry. I think I eventually fell asleep around 1 am.


One thought on “Day 1 of Daily Blogging: 1/8/18

Leave a Reply